Formula Botanica hosts all of its teaching videos on Vimeo.com, one of the largest video-sharing platforms in the world.
If you are experiencing difficulties accessing our videos, it's possible that you either live in a part of the world where Vimeo is restricted, or you are experiencing browser difficulties. We've summarised both errors here with some advice on how to fix it.
Error message: Can't see the video at all
Please note that Vimeo is banned/blocked by a small number of Governments around the world. We understand that it is frustrating to have to deal with such restrictions, but we are sure you understand this is unfortunately outside the control of Formula Botanica’s operations.
We have many students in certain countries who have found ways of working around these Government blocks, such as using VPNs. However, we understand that these methods are often not legal so we are not allowed to recommend them. We instead recommend that you speak to some of our other students in your country (we host a number of regional networking groups that might be of assistance) and ask which methods they use in order to access our videos.
Unsure whether Vimeo works in your country? Visit http://www.vimeo.com - if this website works for you, then you will be able to watch all of Formula Botanica's course videos. To our knowledge, Vimeo is currently blocked in Indonesia, Turkey, China, North Korea and several other countries around the world.
Error message: "Sorry: Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here."
If you are experiencing this technical error when accessing one of our course videos, then it is likely related to your browser. Please run the following tests:
- Check the other videos in your course - do they display the same error?
- Try refreshing your browser cache and reloading the page - do you still see the same error?
- Ensure that your browser is fully up to date - is it the latest version?
- Check Formula Botanica's eLearning platform using another browser such as Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Internet Explorer - do you still see the same error message?
- Check the eLearning platform using a different device, such as a smart phone or tablet - do you still see the same error message?
- Check the eLearning platform from a different internet connection if you can - do you still see the same error message?
Loading of your course videos can be particularly affected by your broadband provider and internet connection, so it worth shutting down any applications that might be using up your computer's processing unit, such as Dropbox or iTunes, and then trying again.
There might also be a number of reasons for the speed/loading issues, particularly if you have plugins installed in Google Chrome (if that's the browser you're using) that are slowing things down, Virus checkers, or other scripts.
What to do if all else fails
If all else fails, we recommend you try disabling "Prefetch" in Windows (if you're using Windows) using the steps detailed below:
- Click the "Menu" button in the upper-right corner, then select "Settings".
- Scroll down and select the "Advanced" option.
- Scroll down to the "Privacy and security" section, then toggle the "Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly" option to the left to disable Prefetch.
- Now check the videos again - are they still displaying the error message?
Finally, you can try disabling the "use hardware acceleration", in settings > Advanced > System. Then restart the browser and check the videos again.
If you have any other difficulties or if these steps do not solve your problem, please don't hesitate to get in touch with Formula Botanica's Student Support Team and we will do our best to assist you.