We don't want to sugar-coat it for you: making organic haircare is harder than making organic skincare. You'll be working with formulations that contain higher percentages of water, such as shampoos and conditioners, which therefore require more stabilisation and preservation techniques than many of the anhydrous (oil-based) formulations you make when you first start making skincare.
Before you study with us to learn how to make organic haircare, we want you to have mastered the basics so that you can confidently navigate how to make organic shampoos, conditioners and styling products.
In order to complete the Diploma in Organic Haircare Formulation you need prior formulation skills. As this is an advanced course, and you will be expected to be able to perform everything listed in the pre-requisites below:
- Be able to create your own formulation from scratch. This course launches straight into teaching you how to make haircare - we don’t cover basic formulation skills (such as the ones taught in our Diploma in Organic Skincare Formulation).
- Understand how to calculate weights and percentages in your formulation.
- Be familiar with the basic ingredients used by organic formulators.
- Have basic experience of working with one or two natural emulsifiers, surfactants, gums, preservatives, solubilisers.
- Be able to create an organic cosmetic emulsion. You must have mastered the basics of emulsification in order to take this course - we don’t cover basic emulsification skills (such as the ones taught in our Diploma in Organic Skincare Formulation).
- Know the basics of aroma-blending - understand how to choose essential oils for your formulation and work with dermal limits.
The Diploma in Organic Skincare Formulation is our foundation course that will equip you with all of the knowledge needed to progress onto one of our advanced courses, and this is why we advise you start with this course first.